If you're anything like me, flavored nut butters are a delicious treat....that's often out of reach. Why? I can't seem to justify spending TEN DOLLARS or more on ten ounces of almond butter. I rock a budget that definitely does not fit this luxury into it. Sure, I'll grab a little snack pouch every so often just to get my fix, but I would kill to eat it everyday!
Being crafty and an amateur kitchen whiz, I decided to make my own almond butter. I started with my all time favorite, maple almond butter. Justin's brand is my all time favorite, and not just because that's my boyfriends name too. Somehow, the maple flavor really stands out and is perfect on pancakes. Don't believe me? Test out the recipe and give it a try!
• 2 cups raw almonds
• 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
• Coconut oil
• Sea salt
1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2) Place almonds, maple syrup, and about 2 tsp of coconut oil in baking dish. Mix to coat almonds.
3) Roast almonds in oven for 25-30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
4) Blend almonds in food processor, scraping down sides of food processor every few minutes.
5) Add coconut oil slowly to get desired creaminess.
6)Add approximately 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp sea salt (I added to taste).
I bought my supplies at Aldi's, so one batch of almond butter cost about four dollars to make. Bonus to making it yourself? You know exactly what's in it.
Spread on toast or pancakes (or eat with a spoon), and enjoy!